Can they do it?

Go down

Can they do it?

Post by Guest on Sun May 18, 2008 7:19 pm

Can the Tampa Bay Devil Rays compete and contend with the Boston Red Soxs. They Rays have been very impressive hear of late, but are they are half season wonder, or can a team that has never had a winning season compete with the beasts of the east.... I dont see a problem against the Orieles, or Blue Jays, not even a big deal against the Yankees, but the RedSoxs is a different questions... Do you think they can contend with the soxs or just hope from the wildcard now?

Back to top Go down

Re: Can they do it?

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2008 2:44 pm

I hope they can, cause I hate the Yankees.

My beloved Cardinals just beat them in the weekend series though.

Back to top Go down

Post by PocketAAs on Mon May 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Y'all be careful now.. I don't care if we talk religion or politics, but I'm a HUGE Red Sox fan so tread lightly Wink

But I'll give you my educated opinion Smile

Everyone knows the Red Sox and Yankees are the beasts of the east because Baseball is pretty much messed up. How can you compete with the salary differences these two teams have compared to anyone else. That being said, Two years ago, Toronto and Baltimore decided to not take it anymore and make a major push in the east, they spent more money than in the past and got some decent players. Tampa is doing that this year. All teams started off great. But everyone knows, Baseball is a marathon and you can start strong but it's how you finish. New York and Boston understand this and finish strong. Toronto, Baltimore and now Tampa Bay will not be able to keep up the pace. However, over the next few years, they will get further and closer. That's how the Sox did it.

One note: I don't see NY being able to come back from their present woes like they came back last year. Torre is the only one who could turn this around and he's not there. Hank Jr will beat the hell out of Joe G by the all-star break and the team will just play .500 ball the rest of the season. So Tampa, Balt and Tor all have a good chance of beating the Yanks out in the standings. But I think the WC will come out of another Div.

PocketAAs

Number of posts : 286
Playstation Network ID : PocketAAs
In Game Rank : Level 55 Prestige 10
Xile Division : Xile Council
Registration date : 2008-03-28

http://xile.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2008 3:35 pm

On a side note, HankJr, will be the Yankees downfall.....

Back to the topic in hand.... The Tampa Bay Devil Rays, may not be able to keep up with the Sox, but they are gonna make more progress then the either bird team..... Its hard to predict whats going to happen cuz the year is sooo long.... Alot of suprise teams this year, and few of the old ones.. I just wish baseball took more then 4 freakin teams to the playoffs....Im gonna go on record and state that the Rays will contend with the Soxs.. ALL YEAR but come up short by about 4 or 5 games.... As for the wild card, that is prolly gonna come from the AL Central....

Back to top Go down

Post by PocketAAs on Mon May 19, 2008 4:27 pm

My Prediction in the East -

Boston
Baltimore
Tampa
New York
Toronto

Wild card comes out of the Central.

PocketAAs

Number of posts : 286
Playstation Network ID : PocketAAs
In Game Rank : Level 55 Prestige 10
Xile Division : Xile Council
Registration date : 2008-03-28

http://xile.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:51 am

anyone think that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are real yet... cuz they are now LEADING the east....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

First of all it aint no Devil Rays no more... they are just little Rays, though they still have the devil ray symbol on the sleave. I don't know how you could have predicted Baltimore to beat out NYY and TB PocketAAS, but I do understand ur Boston bias Smile

As it looks now NYY and Boston will likely get out of the American League with the East Champs and Wild Card... Only if pitching stays relatively stable for Yanks and Boston keep pace, I go to college down in Tampa and I like seeing this move they are making this year, but it's hard to keep a run going without a good fanbase. The Allstar voting was a good example of that: 7 Cubbies, several red sox and yanks... 1 Ray from the team with the best record int he Majors... and that 1 guy, Evan Longoria, was voted in as the "wild card", "last chance" vote by rest of America... EL OH EL!

As for Baltimore and Toronto beating Yanks in standings, that all begins with beating NYY when they play them!

In the end I think the end of the season is going to be really tight in a number of divisions, not just the one in question. My Braves are only 4.5 games out of the Phillies leading the NL East, most of those games come from the fact that we have lost 17 of last 21 games to the dang Phillies... lol

I have high hopes for both Braves and Rays, but one thing Braves have on the Rays in winning divisions is that we did it 14 years in a row... o.0

Chew on that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:50 pm

Ya know it doesnt really matter when you have a 7 game winning streak, and then a 7 game losing streak.. I think that the All Star break couldnt have came any sooner.... The Rays are great at home, if they can just find a way to win on the road, I still think they could win the east...... Although Boston does have alot of games at Finway, the 2nd half of the season, with some of the bigger players coming back it will be tough.....

As for the NL... im a braves fan, always been a braves fan, but something has gotta give.. im not sure what it is, weather is Bobby Cox, or what but even when they won those 14 straight divison titles..... 1 f'n world series.... come on now,, something has gotta change... now they cant even win THE NL East... thank god we arent in the Central this year lol....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum